BENEDICTINE Liqueur was created in 1510 by Dom Bernardo Vincelli, a
member of the mysterious Benedictine Order in France. He created the unique
elixir using alchemy (an ancient form of chemistry) and the combination of 27
herbs and spices gathered from around the world.
In commemoration of the 500th anniversary of its creation, BENEDICTINE
Liqueur and Esquire are searching for the Alchemists of Our Age, mixologists
who embody the spirit and innovation behind the creation of BENEDICTINE.
Beginning in August 2009, you are invited to stake your claim in history and lead
the journey into the liqueur's first millennium.
How it works:
- Review this brief, and if possible, attend an education event hosted by the BENEDICTINE
Global Ambassador in one of the key markets.*
- Visit the BENEDICTINE facebook page to meet other participants in your area and
around the country.
- Experiment with your cocktail creation and possibly feature it in your account to gain
support and receive feedback.
- Regional Alchemists are chosen by the BENEDICTINE Global Ambassador and featured
in an Esquire recipe booklet.
- The Alchemist of Our Age is chosen by renowned author and mixologist, David Wondrich
and featured in an Esquire advertorial.
*Open to all participants. Education events will be hosted in the top five accounts in each key market. (Boston, Chicago, New Orleans, New York City, New Jersey
and San Francisco.)
Tips for Creating Alchemy
- Maintain the cocktail's overall balance by getting the right amount of "heat" - be careful not to over pour.
- Measure out all ingredients so cocktails can be made consistently and repeatedly.
Flavor and Taste
- Use ingredients that will influence the known spices of BENEDICTINE: angelica, hyssop, lemon
balm, myrrh, saffron, nutmeg, cardamom, and cinnamon.
- Try unexpected ingredients in your account's kitchen or recommended by your chef.
- Consider using fresh ingredients in all of your creations for the best flavor.
- Find inspiration in the local flavors or unique cuisine of your city or region.
- Add interesting garnishes to increase the appeal and intrigue of your cocktail.
- Create a story for your cocktail for added consumer interest.
- Add a modern-day twist to a classic cocktail to make it your own.
- Look to the glass for inspiration by trying martinis, rocks, long drinks and more.
- Stand out by using ingredients found only in your city or region.
- Keeps your account's liquor costs in mind.
- Make the cocktail relevant to your account's bar menu.
- Choose ingredients that are easy to source for your account.
- Consider how easily the cocktail will be for your customers to make at home.
Rules and rewards subject to change.
The alcohol beverage laws of individual states vary regarding the promotion and merchandising of our products. You should be guided accordingly or contact the Legal Department.
Submit your recipe to Alchemists@nikecomm.com