- - - - -

Does bartending school really help?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 _Jenny_*

_Jenny_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:28 PM

Hey there, a couple questions for you experienced bartenders.

1. Does it really help to take a bartending course?

I don't have any experience, but am planning on looking for an evening bartending gig. I live in NYC, and the last class I checked was $800-not really an option. Some bartenders that I know told me to get a bartending book and study, learn glasses and how to pour, get a few references, and look hot.
My friends also mentioned a bar manager will laugh at you if you walk in w/ a certificate and no experience.

Any opinions or advice? Thanks!

#2 _Paul_*

_Paul_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:06 AM

Jenny....
I took a bartending course during the summer, and it was only 395.00.  Since everything costs more in NY, I guess it's understandable that it would cost you 800.00.  Most bars require a bartender's license as well as a certificate in "bar code".  Perhaps they would waive that requirement as long as you "look hot".  Basically, the school taught me the basics of mixing drinks, such as how much liquor to include in a one-liquor, two-liquor or more-liquor drink.  I found it a great course, and a lot of fun too.  Good Luck !!

#3 _Jaypoc_*

_Jaypoc_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 03:39 PM

I looked into it about 5 years ago and it was about $200 out on Long Island. I can't imagine it going up that much. There's schools in Levittown, NY and Farmingdale, NY. I forget their names.