- - - - -

Thought I've Been Making A Rob Roy.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 _Falcon Frank_*

_Falcon Frank_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:01 PM

My deceased Step-father complained about his Rob Roys at home. Out in town they were great, but at home they just didn't taste right.

The recipes I found stated it was pretty much Sweet Vermouth and Scotch, but I thought what was missing was a couple of dashes of Bitters.

When I made them this way for "the Old Man" he thought they were on the money too.

Recently I was told by my bartender niece that a Rob Roy has no Bitters in it. They confirmed this with another Bartender I know and respect.

Checking my Bartenders books . . . sure enough no bitters were involved.

I know I've had this drink before and it's my favorite one to have.

The Question : What AM I making ?  2 Dashes of Bitters, 1 Part Sweet Vermouth, and 2 Parts Scotch  and rocks or room temp.

Thank you.

#2 _BT_D_lv_*

_BT_D_lv_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:54 PM

Still a Rob Roy - actually old school.  That's the way they used to make them all the time.  I originally come from Northeast/MidWest area and thats the way all the old time bartenders and back used to make them.  Now adays, with the speed of everything they don't do that as much especially in like restaurant bars.  But with the Angostora Bitters - that's the original way to make it.  On this site it's Rob Roy #1