4 replies to this topic

#1 Husker Hunyock

Husker Hunyock

Acquiring a taste

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:04 PM

It has been a while.  Do any old time mixologists recall if this is a Bourbon over crushed ice, or a bourbon water press?  Maybe I'm totally off the basepaths here.

#2 Dan

Dan

The Webmixer

• Bar None Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:49 AM

Husker,

I'm not sure I've heard this name before.  I had a quick check in a bunch of books I have here and nothing pops up.  If I was to guess, I'd say the crushed ice as the temperature differential may make the bourbon cloud over.  Perhaps someone else can come up with something a little more substantial.

Dan

#3 Husker Hunyock

Husker Hunyock

Acquiring a taste

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:05 AM

Dan, on Nov 14 2007, 11:49 PM, said:

Husker,

I'm not sure I've heard this name before.  I had a quick check in a bunch of books I have here and nothing pops up.  If I was to guess, I'd say the crushed ice as the temperature differential may make the bourbon cloud over.  Perhaps someone else can come up with something a little more substantial.

Dan

That is my thought as well.  I've bartended for 26 years now and it has been a long time since I made one and could not remember.  The crushed ice makes sense since it will melt faster and make the drink colder.  This causes some of the ingredients in the bourbon which are soluble in alcohol but not in water to cloud the drink more that using regular ice.  Gotta love chemistry.  :good:

For some reason though, putting a splash of seven-up in a bourbon water rings a bell as well.

#4 _Guest_*

_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:04 PM

You have to use a cheap bourbon too, like Evan Williams, and such.  I seem to remember you can use 10 high too even tough it isnt a bourbon.

#5 _jonesy_*

_jonesy_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:25 PM

When I used to bartend at the local Legion club a cloudy was like a press only with a shot of cola to make the "cloudy".

Jonesy