4 replies to this topic

#1 Mango_sucker

Mango_sucker

Acquiring a taste

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 05:55 PM

I had a martini at Joey's Grill yesterday called Forbidden Fruit.  It was Apple Sourpuss, Butter Ripple Schnapps, damnation and sweet & sour.  The ingredients damnation and sweet & sour, I am not familiar with.  Can anyone help?

Thanks so much.

#2 Dan

Dan

The Webmixer

• Bar None Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 06:14 PM

Sweet and Sour is a mix, found here.

Hope that helps,

Dan

#3 The Raven

The Raven

A regular

• Bar None Friends
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 11:36 PM

Though I've actually managed to track down a beer, made in California, with the label of "Damnation", I'd have to lean toward your ingredient being "Hot Damn", a cinnamon schnapps.  That is of course only if the drink contained a cinnamon flavor.  If not, I'm just as interested as you are to find out what "damnation" is.

#4 Mango_sucker

Mango_sucker

Acquiring a taste

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:39 AM

Mmmmmm, I don't think it was cinnamon although that's a good guess.  As I studied the other drink recipes in the Joey's menu, I noticed that alcoholic ingredients were always capitalized and any other additives were not.  In this case the sweet & sour and the damnation were not capitalized which leads me to believe the “damnation” is a non-alcoholic ingredient.  I've googled "damnation" as a cocktail ingredient with no success so far but this is such a good martini, I shall continue my quest (it’s one of those martinis that you can’t taste the alcohol…..you know….the dangerous kind because you don’t really sense that you are actually drinking an alcoholic cocktail).  Maybe the answer is to send a really cute guy into Joey's to flirt with one of the waitresses and inquire as to this secret ingredient.  

Thanks so much for your help so far.

#5 The Raven

The Raven

A regular

• Bar None Friends
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:37 AM

Though the "cute guy" approach is certainly time-tested, it would probably be just as easy to ask straight out.  Just like when you buy something at the store, the staff has to tell you what is in a drink (or the meal) because of allergies and the like.  They don't have to tell you how much of an ingredient is in a recipe, but they have to tell you what the ingredients are.  As long as you're nice about it and just play dumb, you should be able to get the answer pretty easily without even having to batt an eye.