German Pear Schnapps

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 _BeesKnees_*

_BeesKnees_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2006 - 02:01 PM

My boyfriend told me of pear schnapps from Germany that he says is called "Willy."  I'm not sure if I'm spelling it wrong or what, but I can't find it with any search I've tried.  I'd love to order some and suprirse him with it for Christmas.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 Jason

Jason

Bar None Technical Lead

• Bar None Staff
  • 266 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 08:31 PM

Hmm.

I think that Germans refer to most clear alcohol as schnapps.  If this is the case, you might be looking for Williams-Birne Pear Brandy.

Jason

#3 _Guest_*

_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:28 AM

Jason, on Dec 12 2006, 08:31 PM, said:

Hmm.

I think that Germans refer to most clear alcohol as schnapps.  If this is the case, you might be looking for Williams-Birne Pear Brandy.

Jason

Thank you so much!  I'll try to find this!!!

#4 _Michael Weingand_*

_Michael Weingand_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:03 PM

Williams Birne is a Pear Schnapps.  Any and all Germans will tell you that it is indeed not just a clear alcohol and in fact may be offended at such.  Schnapps is a clear Licore made from fruites that is has nothing more that the fruit.  This is as much an artform as is the Wines of Napa Valley (usa). Williams Birne is a short version of Williams Christ Birne (pear) Schnapps.  Shoter than that,,,willy.

Broust.
Michael

#5 _Mike Whitehead_*

_Mike Whitehead_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:05 PM

Michael Weingand, on Jan 5 2007, 05:03 PM, said:

Williams Birne is a Pear Schnapps.  Any and all Germans will tell you that it is indeed not just a clear alcohol and in fact may be offended at such.  Schnapps is a clear Licore made from fruites that is has nothing more that the fruit.  This is as much an artform as is the Wines of Napa Valley (usa). Williams Birne is a short version of Williams Christ Birne (pear) Schnapps.  Shoter than that,,,willy.

Broust.
Michael
I have been trying to get the same thing as a buddy brought some back from a trip to Austria, and since then, it has become a sentimental thing that our social circle has picked up for weddings, wakes, and all the other meaningful get togethers 2008 has had for us in abundance.  Here is the e mail I got from the supplier in Austria.  I am still trying to figure out how to get it out of the EU to the US.  Good luck, and I am sorry I did not get this to you in time for Christmas.  

Dear Mr. Whitehead,

thank you for your e-mail.
In general it is no problem to send the "Williams" within the "european union" (EU), but it would not be possible to send it overseas like USA or Kanada.
Our prices would be:
"Williamsbrand 43% reserve", 0,35 lt cost Euro 25,00*
"Williamsbrand 43% reserve", 0,7 lt cost Euro 44,00*

(*) The prices are inclusive austrian tax, exclusive delivery-costs. We send goods only cash before delivery.

In case you would like to know with other flavor "Guglhof" has, we give you a list in the attachment.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Firma
R.F. Azwanger KG
Getreidegasse 15
A-5020 Salzburg
T: +43 (0) 662 / 84 33 94-0
F: +43 (0) 662 / 84 33 94-20
www.azwanger.at

#6 schnipperschnappser

schnipperschnappser

Acquiring a taste

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:32 PM

Mike Whitehead, on 26 May 2008 - 11:05 PM, said:

In general it is no problem to send the "Williams" within the "european union" (EU), but it would not be possible to send it overseas like USA or Kanada.

Sipping on some of this now.  I did have to transport it back mysefl from the Baden Wuertemburg /  Palitinate area.  Many of the small wine makers (Weingut restaurants) make "Willy" (Pear Schnapps) on their own.  

I'm writing in Nov 2011.  A 1L bottle was EUR20 at a Weingut near Weisloch. There are a number of people who make it as a cottage industry in the town of Oestringen which is a bit further south out in the boondocks (Wiesloch is already 15 - 20km South of Heidelberg in the middle of nowhere).    Both of these towns are just off the B3 secondary highway going South out of Heidelberg.

Enjoy.