10 replies to this topic

#1 Beacon

Beacon

Acquiring a taste

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:59 PM

I'm trying to come up with a drink that'll taste like smores
(They're the Hersey's chocolate wtih a marshmellow in between two grham crackers, for those that don't know)

So I was thinking...
Marshmellow schnapps
something Chocolate (Creme de Cacao I figured, unless there's something better I can use)
Maybe some kind of creme (like in a Grasshopper or Pink Squirrel, cause this would be a desert drink)
and a Grahm cracker on the side

Any comments or ideas?

#2 The Raven

The Raven

A regular

• Bar None Friends
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:56 PM

I feel odd admitting this, but I've never heard of marshmallow schnapps...I can't even imagine what liquid marshmellow would taste like.  (For what it's worth, I can't find that product in any of my usual online sources.)  That not withstanding, I do have a few suggestions for you to try.

Start with a margarita glass or even a highball.  Make sure the glass is warm, but not hot.

First, to be sure that you get the grahm cracker in every sip, I'd crush the cracker up and use it to rim the glass, like you would a margarita or a crusta.  To get it to stick, dip the rim of the glass in chocolate syrup.  Now you're guaranteed to at least be reminiscent of the wonderful treat you're attempting to reproduce.

The drink itself then becomes a bit simpler.  In that I can't find marshmallow schnapps anywhere, I'll try to work around it.  If you start with a high quality vodka (read: flavorless) and add white creme de cacao, you work toward an interesting effect.  Take this combination and heat it, very slightly.  The heat should be enough to make the glass warm and get the flavor of the creme to come out over the alcohol, but not warm enough to make the glass hot or be too hot to drink.  Allow the chocolate syrup a chance to run down the inside of the glass a little before you pour the alcohol in, and, assuming you used white creme de cacao, you will be able to see the chocolate through the drink.  To get the marshmallow flavor into the drink, float a couple of small ones in the drink.  The drink should be warm enough to get them to start to disolve pretty steadily, and the rising heat/evaporating alcohol will carry their flavor into your guests' nose.

I hope this helps.  If it's really good, let me know and I'll review it in my next article.  If its really bad, let me know and I'll see if I can find a better way.

There is another alternative...creating your own mm schnapps, but if it turns out anything like the GummiSchlager I tried to make :sick:, it won't be worth the effort.

#3 __Beacon_*_*

__Beacon_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:03 PM

Then maybe I heard wrong but I could sweare my instructor said something about marshmellow schnapps...Oh well...

I'll try your drink and I hope everything works well. =)

#4 Beacon

Beacon

Acquiring a taste

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:20 PM

Um...how would I go about heating the glass? Microwave or something?

#5 The Raven

The Raven

A regular

• Bar None Friends
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:44 PM

There's a couple of ways, I wouldn't recommend the microwave.  Try letting it run under hot water from the faucet until it is warm or taking it out of the dishwasher before the end of the dry cycle.  You could also just heat up some water on the stove and pour it in for a few minutes...but don't let the water get too hot...you should be able to stick your hand in without getting burned.

Anyone else got any suggestions?

#6 _Guest_*

_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2006 - 02:01 PM

The Raven, on Aug 22 2006, 07:44 PM, said:

There's a couple of ways, I wouldn't recommend the microwave.  Try letting it run under hot water from the faucet until it is warm or taking it out of the dishwasher before the end of the dry cycle.  You could also just heat up some water on the stove and pour it in for a few minutes...but don't let the water get too hot...you should be able to stick your hand in without getting burned.

There is such as thing as mm schappes, we have it at the bar I work in. That said I have never seen it in the store.    :unsure:

As for the shot, I would try...ummmm, a small amount of hazelnut, then even anounts of mm and dark cacao.  

Actually I would start by trying Baileys instead of hazelnut, just because I have a fetish for the stuff.  :rolleyes:

And you could always light it for effect.....

Crystal

#7 _Roc_*

_Roc_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2006 - 03:16 PM

My Smores drink is in a shot glass.  equal parts of creme de cacao, butterscotch schnapps, baileys, rim the glass in chocolate syrup and crushed graham crackers, float 151 on top light, toast mini marshmallow on tooth pick, extinguish flame and serve.  Great presentation

Guest, on Nov 26 2006, 02:01 PM, said:

The Raven, on Aug 22 2006, 07:44 PM, said:

There is such as thing as mm schappes, we have it at the bar I work in. That said I have never seen it in the store.    :unsure:

As for the shot, I would try...ummmm, a small amount of hazelnut, then even anounts of mm and dark cacao.  

Actually I would start by trying Baileys instead of hazelnut, just because I have a fetish for the stuff.  :rolleyes:

And you could always light it for effect.....

Crystal

#8 _JP_*

_JP_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2008 - 02:48 AM

Good stuff.  I just tried this using creme de cacao, butterschnapps, vodka, and hazelnut milk (pacific organics)...works great, w/ no actual cream (for us odd lactose intolerants)!

#9 _Cheryl Charming_*

_Cheryl Charming_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:02 PM

Try this:
http://www.misscharm...mingSmores.html

Cheers!
Cheryl Charming
misscharming.com

#10 _Heather_*

_Heather_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:21 PM

Hey ya'll,

My friend April just created a new shot last night while out for her birthday and it's called the Panda Bear. Mix Kahlua, Bailey's, Godiva chocolate, chocolate syrup, and creme de menthe and serve as either a drink over ice or as a shot. Its an expensive one though...around $15.00 :girl_devil:

#11 Cheryl Charming

Cheryl Charming

Acquiring a taste

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:07 PM

Heather, on Jun 17 2008, 01:21 PM, said:

Hey ya'll,

My friend April just created a new shot last night while out for her birthday and it's called the Panda Bear. Mix Kahlua, Bailey's, Godiva chocolate, chocolate syrup, and creme de menthe and serve as either a drink over ice or as a shot. Its an expensive one though...around $15.00 :girl_devil:

Why is it expensive as a shot? What's the shot portion? Should be 1.5 oz.