Free Pour Counts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 _Jonnyangel_*

_Jonnyangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:16 PM

Hey guys
I'm back in the game after a long hiatus, and am starting at the hippest and hottest club in town. They are very strict on exact pours, so I'm wondering what methods you guys use? What do you count in your head for a liqour pour? For example-Red Headed Slut, Gin Martini, Rum & Coke, Cosmo, Scotch Neat. One one thousand for every half ounce of liqour? Thanks.

#2 Paul25

Paul25

Acquiring a taste

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:27 AM

View PostJonnyangel, on Mar 22 2006, 09:16 PM, said:

Hey guys
I'm back in the game after a long hiatus, and am starting at the hippest and hottest club in town. They are very strict on exact pours, so I'm wondering what methods you guys use? What do you count in your head for a liqour pour? For example-Red Headed Slut, Gin Martini, Rum & Coke, Cosmo, Scotch Neat. One one thousand for every half ounce of liqour? Thanks.

1 oz is 'Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star
& 2 oz is 'Mary had a little lamb, its fleece was white as snow'

assuming you don't have a speech impediment

#3 NH Chef de Bar

NH Chef de Bar

Acquiring a taste

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:08 AM

You can't gauge how much you're pouring by counting, because different liquors have different viscosities; each pur spout is a little different; and even the same spout with the same liquor won't pour exactly the same twice in a row.

Similarly, you can't gauge by how much you've filled a glass, becasue the ice stacks up differently each time, and doesn't always have the same displacement.

Get a variety of different glassware (some opaque so you can't cheat ly looking at what's in the glass), and practice, practice, practice until you gt consistent. Do it with several different-sized shouts (1/2 oz., 1 oz., 1 1/2 oz., etc) until you can do it in your sleep. Use a few different bottles, pour spouts, and liquids (water, simple syrup, juices, and different liquors), and do it until you "just feel it."

Have fun ;-)

#4 _boston_boy_dwtn_*

_boston_boy_dwtn_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2006 - 12:59 PM

The best way I have found to show people how to free pour are by counting.  Make sure you get the bottle turned completely up as you pour and count (as you would aloud not rushed):

1/2oz: 1...2...3...4
1oz:  1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8
1 1/2 oz:  1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10...11...12
2oz:  1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8  (six twice b/c after twelve the names get long and throw off your counts)

#5 _Guest_*

_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2006 - 09:39 AM

The above post seems alot harder than normally used...very fast counting.

An easy way would be:

1/4oz - 1
1/2oz - 1.. 2
3/40z - 1.. 2.. 3
1oz    - 1.. 2.. 3.. 4

1 1/4oz - 1.. 2.. 3.. 4.. 1
1 1/2oz - 1.. 2.. 3.. 4.. 1.. 2
1 3/4oz - 1.. 2.. 3.. 4.. 1.. 2.. 3
2oz       - 1.. 2.. 3.. 4.. 1.. 2.. 3.. 4

You count 1 2 3 4 twice because there is 2 syllables in seven ( se-ven)
In between the numbers people say, bubble. elephant, mountain, And, matty. Just use what works for you

This in my opinion is the easiest way ive found

Cheers
Mike