Wet Bar: What Should I Have?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _BulldogAMD_*

_BulldogAMD_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 04:25 PM

I'm building my wet bar, and looking for advice on what a small wet bar should have for supplies.  

I have vodka, white rum, tequilla, whiskey, irish cream, kahula, southern comfort.

Note: I don't like gin so i don't want that.

I'm lookng for advice for supplies of drinks that are common---that people would know.

thanks!

#2 _Paul_*

_Paul_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:45 PM

BulldogAMD, on Mar 12 2006, 04:25 PM, said:

I'm building my wet bar, and looking for advice on what a small wet bar should have for supplies.  

I have vodka, white rum, tequilla, whiskey, irish cream, kahula, southern comfort.

I'm lookng for advice for supplies of drinks that are common---that people would know.

thanks!

#3 _Guest_*

_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:45 PM

Paul, on Mar 12 2006, 10:45 PM, said:

thanks!
Depends if its purely for you or for guests too,
if its just for yourself i would find an orange liqueur,
triple sec, cointreau or grand marnier,
and expand on the whisky selection, a blended scotch, a single malt, a bourbon etc,
also an aged or gold rum.
if you are expecting guests i would keep a bottle of gin also.
If its the strong juniper flavour you don't like try bombay sapphire or hendricks, if its the assault of  raw flavours then try tanqueray ten for a refined and smooth taste.

#4 The Raven

The Raven

A regular

• Bar None Friends
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:57 AM

You also should bring in a few non-alcohol staples.  Grenadine is usually a good buy.  A jar of maraschino cherries provides you with a little pizzaz when you want it.  I find that adding a few varieties of Pucker (Sour Apple and Sour Watermelon) help round out a bar and allow you to pour drinks for all types of drinkers.  Some home bars aren't complete without lime juice either.  I'll agree with the last guy too, if you're planning on guests, have at least a small bottle of gin.  Another important variety of booze that you'll find in most home bars is an anissette.  There are a number of bottles that can fulfill this (Galliano, Chartruese, Absente, Ouzo; not all true anisettes, but they'll do in a pinch.)  Also, again depending on your guests, an amaretto can fill in an empty space on your shelf.

As for equipment, I'd recommend having at glassware for at least double the number of people you ever intend on entertaining.  This will save you time and headache with unexpected guests.  Your glassware doesn't have to be anything fancy, but if you are serving booze that has traditional cups, try to have those avaiable (wine glasses, brandy snifters, champagne flutes, martini and margarita stemware and beer mugs/pilsner glasses come to mind).  Otherwise a standard highball glass is more than sufficient for most outings.

Other equipment:

*A shaker (and learn how to use it!)
*A strainer
*A waiter's corkscrew (or, if you'd like, get a fancier one.  I have no fewer than four corkscrews available when I throw a party, and I've always got the one on my Swiss Army Knife if I can't find any of the others.)
*A double jigger (if you're new at the tending game, this will save you from drink-ruining over pours)
*A mixing spoon (also can double as a muddler.)
*A recipe book (assuming of course that you don't have access to BarNone Drinks.  Mr. Boston is a common book, with many basic drinks. )

#5 _BulldogAMD_*

_BulldogAMD_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2006 - 06:23 PM

Great thanks!!!!

This is exactly what i'm looking for......

:)

#6 Rita

Rita

A regular

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:09 PM

two suggestions...
first, i always keep a can of pineapple juice and a can of tomato juice in the pantry and some horseradish, olives, lemons and limes in the fridge.

also
once a week or every other week do a random search (on bar none, of course) for a new cocktail then buy all the fixins'.  practice the new cocktail on yourself and a friend.  you'll have a well stocked bar in no time and a few signature cocktails to impress your guests.

#7 _Joe_*

_Joe_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:16 PM

thanks!

I never drink the stuff but some people at any party require scotch. Baileys is always a good choice. As for the list you have, some people perfer diferent varieties in those items, always good to have a second choice when it comes to vodka, rye or rum.

#8 _Guest_*

_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:22 AM

don t forget yegermaster and some energy drink
a good shot is some kind of flavored vodka-lemon aor orange for example